Missaukee Conservation District History

The Missaukee Conservation District was first formed in 1949 by a group of area farmers with the intent of working with local landowners to conserve soil and water resources and to prevent and control erosion.

The District is still committed to that goal with a mission to provide for the care, informed usage and protection of natural resources by creating awareness of conservation issues and by being the leader in providing innovative assistance.

Michigan’s Conservation Districts are special purpose local units of State Government that utilize state, federal and private sector resources to solve today’s conservation issues.  Created to serve as stewards of natural resources, Michigan’s Conservation Districts take an ecosystem approach to conservation and protection. Conservation Districts are referred to as “gateways” in their local communities. They provide linkages between land managers and a host of conservation service providers that include state, federal and local governments, conservation organizations and internet resources. Conservation Districts continually scan the needs of their local communities, work in partnership with others involved in conservation to set local priorities and develop action plans to solve natural resource problems. The delivery of these efforts by Conservation Districts allows citizens to manage their private lands for a cleaner, healthier Michigan. It allows the public a point of access in their communities when questions arise on how to manage natural resources.